Monday, April 2, 2012

New Mudroom Design from Heather (at For the Love of Shorties)

Happy Spring!


I am so excited to be guest blogging here today. A huge thank you to Katie and Matt for having me here today! My name is Heather and I blog at For The Love Of Shorties with my shorties, Chaos and Mayhem. Yes, they "help" me. With. Absolutely. Everything. So many good things come out this time of year! The birds singing their songs, butterflies circling the blooming bushes, all of the beautiful flowers popping up out of the earth...


...and our mudroom came outta the closet. Finally! YEAH! A few weeks ago, with spring in the air, I decided to start tackling a few things on my to do list. One thing on my list was a Crappy Closet Crackdown!


Our closet was one of those that probably looked really good on paper. It was in the pass-through (for lack of a better term, I call it a pass-through because it is hardly big enough to be called a hallway in my opinion) between the kitchen and door to the garage, across from the laundry room. Coming out of the laundry room, it's straight ahead with the kitchen to the left and the door to the garage to the right.





Looks innocent, I know. Maybe you have one too. But we park in the garage so this pass-through is a high-traffic area. It seemed to be the ideal place to keep our jackets, scarves, hats, shoes, umbrellas, and school bags. Seemed is the operative word here.


This crappy closet had a lot of issues, which prompted the Crappy Closet Crackdown! The closet door and the door to the garage opened into each other. The rod was too high for my shorties to hang their jackets and backpacks. Things were constantly falling off the hanging sweater organizer and ending up in a pile on the floor. And my shorties usually sat on the floor in the pass-through, with the closet door open, while putting on their jackets and shoes, which meant I couldn't get to/from the garage. Crappy closet, I tell ya!





Soooooo, I decided to remove the door, patch the latch and hinge holes, paint the trim, paint the closet, build bench seats and shelves on each side, build a shelf across the back wall, and make this space really fun and functional! Crappy closet crackdown was a success and I'm excited to say that our mudroom came outta the closet!





Such a big difference! Here's what I did:
  • painted everything and added a few stripes across the back wall just for fun
  • added a coat rack on the back wall within the shorties' reach so they can hang their own jackets, sweaters, and scarves without any help
  • added hooks within their reach in the recessed areas on each side to hold their school, sports, and dance bags
  • built two bench seats, one on each side in the recessed areas so shorties can sit down and put their shoes on or take them off without blocking the pass-through
  • placed metal tubs under each of the bench seats to hold the shorties' shoes
  • built three shelves: one on each side and one across the entire length of the back wall
  • added fun accessories



I found the hooks and accessories at Target. The chalk board caddies are awesome! One holds umbrellas (we love Totes umbrellas which are small and fit perfectly inside the caddies) and the other holds sunscreen and sunglasses. The bulletin board and magnetic black board are a great place for the lunch menu, special events info, and important reminders. Oh, and those chalkboard frames ~ LOVE them! Perfect for fun photos or seasonal printables with little love notes written on the chalkboard frame. The two baskets on the top shelf hold out of season items such as heavy jackets, scarves, and gloves during the summer and light jackets, hoodies, and flip flops during the winter.





My shorties LOVE their new space! Score one for the mom team! Woot woot! I love it too! It's so much more fun and functional and I know it's a space my shorties will use every day for years to come. Thank you again for having me and I'd love if you drop by my blog to say hi! And thank you for sharing your blog with me, Katie and Matt! xo, Heather


p.s. ~ please excuse the photos...as I shared, this is a pass-through and there is about ZERO natural light in this space and the single overhead light in the pass-through is also on my to do list.

Thank YOU Heather, for sharing your Crappy Closet Crackdown! Your new mudroom looks fantastic. 
And please don't apologize for your photos, they show off your new mudroom well. Please go visit Heather at For the Love of Shorties and say hi! Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Thank you again for having me here today, Katie and Matt! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP